Our FOUR Little Ducks (formerly Our Three Little Ducks :)~

I'm a mom to FOUR amazing kids, one of which was adopted from South Korea. Our family is wild and crazy, and REALLY LOUD but lots of fun. Oh, and my new favorite quote is: "HAVING KIDS IS LIKE BEING PECKED TO DEATH BY A DUCK." So so so true.

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

I am currently a SAHM, but prior to leaving my job I was a labor and delivery nurse. I really miss work, but I enjoy being home with my kids (most of the time anyway!).

Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Arie Eating Update

Late January we had a feeding clinic visit and Arie had only gained 1/2 of what they had expected him to gain. He was just about 9 months old and only 15lbs 13oz. They did allergy testing which was all negative, and a stool test which showed that he has acidic stool (which I knew from the AWFUL diaper rashes he gets). He also has 5-8 poops a day. WAY too many for a 9 month old. We are still working on the poop issues, but I was given new instruction for the weight issues. We now "calorie boost". We add 1 scoop of powered formula to every 4oz of baby food that he eats, and we still make his bottles with 5oz water and 3 scoops of formula. Basically we are packin' on the pounds (or at least trying!). I also buy baby food that is high in fat (Beef Noodle and Chicken Noodle are the best). After 1 month of calorie boosting, Arie (almost 10 months old now) weighs...................DRUM ROLL PLEASE...................... 16lbs 11oz!!! I cried (happy tears) when I saw the scale.

Hopefully we are headed on the right path. Our next goal is to get him to eat table food/crackers/cheerios/etc. He still ONLY does baby food... nothing else. He gags terribly with any kind of cracker or cheerio or anything, but he DOESN'T cry which is good.

He's combat crawling now too! He still can't sit himself up yet, but he's trying. Once he's in the sitting position he can stay for a while, but he doesn't really like to and quickly flops back to his belly. He's not pulling up yet or anything like that. I'm just happy that he's finally combat crawling! That's all I could ask for. Improvment is GREAT and I'm confident that in the long run he will be developmentally on target. He's just a little behind at the moment.

The boy has a TEMPER though and can SCREAM bloody murder when he's mad at something. He's also cutting 4 teeth right now (as is Micah) so they are both miserable. Funny thing is that they are both cutting some of the same teeth. Micah was a late teether and Arie was early, so there you go.

Ok, enough with the novel. My boy is GROWING UP!!!

3 Comments:

Blogger Chris said...

I hope things continue to improve- keep growin' big boy!!!

6:43 PM  
Blogger Third Mom said...

Great news, Ryan - it sounds like he is getting the hang of this eating thing!

7:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

YEA!! I am so happy at the weight gain! I know how hard you have been working at it. I loved watching him army crawl while we visited. He does his Daddy proud.
Luv you guys!

8:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home