Our FOUR Little Ducks (formerly Our Three Little Ducks :)~

I'm a mom to FOUR amazing kids, one of which was adopted from South Korea. Our family is wild and crazy, and REALLY LOUD but lots of fun. Oh, and my new favorite quote is: "HAVING KIDS IS LIKE BEING PECKED TO DEATH BY A DUCK." So so so true.

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

I am currently a SAHM, but prior to leaving my job I was a labor and delivery nurse. I really miss work, but I enjoy being home with my kids (most of the time anyway!).

Thursday, January 18, 2007

1/18 Arie's Feeding Update




Oh where to begin. We'll start with the good news. Arie is now eating baby food! He is doing really well and eating about 12-16oz a day. His Prevacid seems to be helping him with the reflux, though when he gets full he still gags.

Now for the bad news. Although he is eating baby food, he has lost 1lb and 3oz, taking him from 16lbs down to 14lbs 13oz (at 8 months old). The reason is because baby food has less fat and calories in it than formula has, and since he started eating food he is drinking waaaay less. That leads us to the next problem. He has slowly started drinking less and less formula. He has been getting constipated on and off as a result, and as I already mentioned he has started loosing weight.

I've been talking back and forth with the Feeding Clinic about what to do. We will be going to get him allergy tested (perhaps tomorrow??). Apparently now they can just draw blood and send it off instead of doing the whole "prick test" thing. The problem with Arie is that he has NO veins, so I'm worried that he will get stuck a million times. The last time they needed blood from him it took 2 different visits with total of 6 needle sticks and STILL no blood! They ultimately had to do it while he was under general anesthesia (for a small procedure), and even then they had to draw his blood and start his I.V. in his foot. Poor guy. So, hopefully the allergy testing will yield some answers. Aside from the eating, the other reason I think he may have an allergy is because he has a wicked diaper rash that just wont go away. We are using $40 butt-cream (and that's what we pay after insurance) to try and clear it up... and I am NEUROTIC about applying it every time we change his diaper. Anyway, I have to wonder if that's from an allergy. It's been an issue since he came home.

In terms of his development, we still haven't started P.T. I haven't heard back from the P.T. and I need to call, but the eating issues are enough to deal with at the moment. He isn't sitting yet (even when I prop him he will only sit up for about 20-30 seconds... it use to be longer) and he isn't crawling. The good news is that he is getting on his hands and knees and rocking back and forth! YEAH ARIE!

I count my blessings that he is such a sweet happy baby. I just wish that we could be done with all of the eating issues. I have to admit that I get so frustrated with him. It's horrible to just watch him starve himself and loose weight like he does... I feel like I'm doing something wrong or like it's my fault. And when I get frustrated at him it makes me feel even more upset at myself.... I should be more sympathetic, but after you've dumped 3 bottles down the drain in a day, it's REALLY hard to be sympathetic! (Not to mention that formula is not cheap!)

The nurse from the clinic is supposed to be calling me back today with some suggestions of things to try/change. I really hope that he starts gaining weight soon! He's now in the 50% for height (meaning that 50% of boys his age are shorter than him, and 50% are taller) and he is waaaay below 0% for weight (meaning that 100% of boys his age weigh more than him). He is also in the 0% on the Korean growth chart.

I've been saying the Serenity Prayer a LOT lately.... for those of you who don't know it, here it is:


God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
the courage
to change the things I can,
and the wisdom to know the difference

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ryan,

I will be praying for Arie. I hope that you will be able to get the answers (and soon!) that can help him be as strong as he can be.

I love the picture you posted - he is so sweet.

12:49 PM  
Blogger Danyelle said...

Thanks for the update, Ryan. Sounds like things can get tiring at your house with all of the eating issues. I know it can get easy to end up frustrated. Ben went on a bottle strike for well over a month. I hope that you will get some answers soon so that little guy will pack on the pounds. As an encouragement, the int'l adoption clinic here in MN said that a lot of babies that come over from Korea are a little behind in the large motor skills (sitting, crawling, etc) because of being in the podaegies so much while in Korea. Ben has yet to even get up on his hands and knees. My own pediatrian said that the normal range for sitting is 5-9 months old and crawling is even older. Maybe Arie isn't as far off as one might think. Maybe it's good to get the food issue under control first and maybe he will catch up with the sitting/crawling in no time.

Danyelle

8:59 PM  
Blogger Schrandt-O-Rama said...

That is THE CUTEST EVER photo of Arie!!!

You guys are due for some good news on the feeding front- I'm sending out all hopes that you don't have to go the NG route!

Don't beat yourself up too much for getting frustrated- being a good mom is a tough job!

10:44 AM  
Blogger Michele said...

Hi Ryan,
I have followed your blog since before Arie came home. I adopted my younger daughter with the help of Holt (China). We had similar problems with my older girl (also China) when she came home at 8 months. As difficult as it was for me to allow them to do, the doc was able to draw blood from her neck...the only vein they could access. I know with her, we were told to always give her the bottle before we offered her the babyfood. I know that sometimes minimizes the amount of food they will eat, but calorie and nourishment wise, the formula is so important too...as you know. I feel your frustration!!!! It was a very slow process and even know (4 years later) she is tiny for her age and a picky, picky eater. My almost 2 year old eats many more calories in a day, but now we can supplement with pediasure.

Good luck and keep us posted. He sure is a doll baby!!!!
Michele, Mom to Emily and Alyssa
www.ourjourneytoalyssa.blogspot.com

9:39 AM  
Blogger Third Mom said...

Hi, Ryan, long time no catch up. LOVE the photo, gosh Arie is so cute!!!

You have your hands full, no question about it. I sincerely hope the tests net some results that pinpoint what is causing the challenges. It has to be hard for your to watch him struggle with eating. Fingers crossed, prayers going your way.

Hope you fared OK with the ice and snow. I have two pouting kids who didn't get a day off, only a delayed opening.

8:20 PM  
Blogger Third Mom said...

PS for Danyelle (sorry for hijacking, Ryan):

I visited your blog and read the Anna Quindlen article you posted - thank you so much. I tried to comment but couldn't, and just wanted to say it really hit home. My son will graduate this year, and our daughter in two years more. What a beatiful reminder that time we have with our children really does fly.

8:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home