Our FOUR Little Ducks (formerly Our Three Little Ducks :)~

I'm a mom to FOUR amazing kids, one of which was adopted from South Korea. Our family is wild and crazy, and REALLY LOUD but lots of fun. Oh, and my new favorite quote is: "HAVING KIDS IS LIKE BEING PECKED TO DEATH BY A DUCK." So so so true.

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

I am currently a SAHM, but prior to leaving my job I was a labor and delivery nurse. I really miss work, but I enjoy being home with my kids (most of the time anyway!).

Thursday, March 22, 2007

Micah was taken by ambulance to the hospital.

Yesterday afternoon Micah was in the play room when I noticed that his lips and fingers were begining to turn blue. About ten minutes later his whole face was blue, and his hands were blue up to his wrists (cyanosis), he was also starting to act strange and really sleepy. I called my sister who told me to call 911 (duh!) and then I quickly gave him a nebulizer treatment to try and open his airway (he was breathing well... just fast). Also, if you'll remember, he has been really sick for a couple of weeks with pneumonia, ear infections, etc.

Anyway, the paramedics put him on oxygen in the ambulance and he was pink when we arrived at the ED. When they admitted him his vitals were:

Temp 105.1
Heart Rate 192
RR 48
Oxygen Saturation 98

The good thing is that his O2 sats (oxygen saturation) has been good since the cyanotic episode. The fever of 105 however has been an issue. The doctors at the (small community) hospital did a chest X-ray and lab work. His white count was elevated which means there is an infection. We are still waiting for blood cultures to come back. The x-ray showed "retro cardiac pneumonia" meaning that he has pneumonia behind his heart. After all the tests were done, Micah was transfered via ambulance to a HUGE hospital where he is now so that he could get better care.

They still aren't sure what's wrong. In fact, now there is dispute over weather the x-ray showed pneumonia or if it was just a blurry film . Both hospitals have their own opinions.

The Infectious Disease doctor is involved now as well, so tomorrow will bring more x-rays, lab work, and possibly a cardiac echo. Today they did a 12 lead EKG that was normal... good.

Micah's fever came back tonight, but luckily we caught it at 102.5, so it didn't get CRAZY high. He will be in the hospital at least two more nights while they monitor him and give him IV antibiotics and try to figure out some answers to #1) Why he became blue, and #2) Why his fever spiked so high. The plan is to keep him until he is fever free for 24 hours.

Prayers would be GREAT while we wait for some answers!!! Right now all we are left with is a BIG FAT QUESTION MARK.

4 Comments:

Blogger Schrandt-O-Rama said...

Oh No!
How scary for your family! I hope you get some answers & fast. Glad to hear the ID doc is involved and that the 12 lead was normal.

Hope you feel better quickly, Micah! The hospital is NO FUN!!!

9:24 PM  
Blogger Gwen said...

I'm so sorry he is so ill! I will definitely say a prayer for your little one! Keep us posted when you can.

9:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We are so worried about Micah. Please update when you can...

Andrea (abcolo)

11:17 PM  
Blogger Third Mom said...

Ryan, I'm so sorry to be reading this late. You must have been terrified!

8:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home