Our FOUR Little Ducks (formerly Our Three Little Ducks :)~

I'm a mom to FOUR amazing kids, one of which was adopted from South Korea. Our family is wild and crazy, and REALLY LOUD but lots of fun. Oh, and my new favorite quote is: "HAVING KIDS IS LIKE BEING PECKED TO DEATH BY A DUCK." So so so true.

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

I am currently a SAHM, but prior to leaving my job I was a labor and delivery nurse. I really miss work, but I enjoy being home with my kids (most of the time anyway!).

Sunday, November 12, 2006

Breast Feeding

Cover of Baby Talk Magazine
As a Labor and Delivery nurse and a mother, I am a big supporter of breast feeding. I nursed Elaine and Micah until they weened themselves (10 and 12 months respectively). I would have nursed them longer, but the world around them became more interesting then starring at mommy's face. One of the hardest things about adopting a 4 month old (in my opinion) is that nursing wasn't an option. I am totally in support of adoptive breastfeeding, but it's rare for breastfeeding to work when your baby is already a few months old. Oh well.

Anyway, as a breastfeeding advocate, I was appalled at how many negative reactions there were toward the above photo on the cover of Baby Talk magazine. Apparently this happened a few months ago, but I've been kinda busy and missed it. My husband recently heard about it on a radio show, and mentioned it to me. After searching for the photo today I finally found it on this blog. I expected to see full on boobage. But what's this? The side of a boob? No nipple, no areola, nothin'! What's the big deal? Please tell me why, months after the "explicit" (rolling eyes) issue was published, are people still talking about it on radio shows? WHAT IS SO FREAKING WRONG WITH BREASTFEEDING? I swear, Americans can be ridiculous about some things. Yes, they (breasts) have been sexualized. I'm not naive. But aside from their sexual role, they actually were designed to serve a purpose... to FEED BABIES!!!!! Get over it and grow up breastfeeding-opponents. ITS NOT ABOUT YOU IT'S ABOUT OUR CHILDREN!

Oh, I also cam across this site with a blog-roll of mothers from "around the net" who are PROUD to show photos of how they feed their babies... the NATURAL way.

EDITED TO ADD: Here is the link to the "Baby Talk" article on breastfeeding. The article is called "Why Women Dont Nurse Longer". It talks about the negative attitudes of the public, and also gives a list of breastfeeding laws for each state.

2 Comments:

Blogger Nancy said...

I totally agree with you! Our society is so twisted. I'm sorry but I've seen more "boobage" shown on the cover of For Men magazine, than what is shown on the cover of this parenting magazine!!!
Like you, I nursed Micah for 10 months, and I wish that I could nurse with the child we will be adopting as well. But I'm concerned that they baby will be too old to try and start.
I remeber once we were out to eat,we were sitting in a booth and Micah became hungry. So I covered the two of us up and he had his lunch. People were just staring at me with the dirties looks. Thank God, my best friend was with me, who is also a LDN, and she loudly said that what I was doing was completely natural! I mean "come one" women are designed to nurse, so people just need to get over it!
My sister lives in Sweden and she says mom's nurse their babies everywhere. I wish mother's here wouldn't get such negative vibes from the public. It's just not right!!!

6:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am currently breastfeeding my child. He is 3 months old and I have a hard time being comfortable enough to nurse in public because of all of the stares. It is also hard because I have a very alert and inquisitive child. He HATES to be covered up. Thus feeding in public is not easy. He draws even more attention squirming and pulling the cover off!! But would you want to be covered with a blanket and try to eat lunch? I didn't think so! Anyway, Ry Arie is cuter by the day and I can't wait to meet him! See you soon!

Love, Traci

8:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home