Our FOUR Little Ducks (formerly Our Three Little Ducks :)~

I'm a mom to FOUR amazing kids, one of which was adopted from South Korea. Our family is wild and crazy, and REALLY LOUD but lots of fun. Oh, and my new favorite quote is: "HAVING KIDS IS LIKE BEING PECKED TO DEATH BY A DUCK." So so so true.

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

I am currently a SAHM, but prior to leaving my job I was a labor and delivery nurse. I really miss work, but I enjoy being home with my kids (most of the time anyway!).

Wednesday, December 06, 2006

"Holiday" vs. "Christmas"

During the holiday season I really start to notice how far out of their way people go to be "p.c." (politically correct). I think it's great that our mall has a Kwanzaa display, a Hanukkah display, and a Christmas display. I also enjoy hearing Adam Sandler's Hanukkah song on the radio in addition to the gazillion Christmas songs they play. I think that we should treat these non-Christian holidays with the importance and respect that they deserve. After all, America is founded on freedom of religion.

HOWEVER, sometimes I think that people push the envelope a little too far. For example, my sisters children go to a Baptist pre-school. Well, for some reason this BAPTIST school has decided to do a "holiday" party instead of a "Christmas" party because some of the children attending aren't Christian. Maybe it's just me, but if I chose to send my child to a Baptist school, I would expect that they would, at the very least, celebrate Christmas... while using the term Christmas instead of the catch-all term of "Holiday". If I sent Elaine to a Buddhist pre-school, I would expect them to teach Buddhism. (I don't think there is such a thing as a Buddist pre-school, but you get my point.) I wouldn't expect the whole school to change because of my child. After all, I have a choice of where I send her to learn. Obviously things are different in public school and I understand that, but I'm talking about a private pre-school run in a church. I just don't get it.

I recently encountered another similar situation. On one of the larger forums I talk on they are doing a "Christmas card" exchange. There are a LOT of people participating, but you don't have to participate... again it's a choice. After talking about it for a couple of days, a non-Christian mother replied,
"How come they are Christmas cards, not holiday cards? I send out cards every
year and would love to participate in this, but as someone who isn't Christian
it would be very strange and uncomfortable for me to receive cards of a
Christian nature - i.e., specifically geared to Christmas."
Nobody replied to her on the forum, but I did send her a private message. I told her that I would LOVE to recieve a Hanukkah card (or a card of any faith) because It would help me teach my children about diversity and about all the different holidays around the world that people celebrate. I also told her that as a Christian family, we will be having Christmas cards made (as opposed to "holiday" cards) and that to ask me to make "holiday" cards instead is a little un-fair. I was as gentle in my words as possible because I didn't want to offend her or have her think that my argument against her had ANYTHING to do with her religion. Let's say that I was Hindu and I saw the "Christmas card exchange" topic on the forum. If it would be "strange and uncomfortable" for me to recieve Christmas cards at my home, I simply wouldn't participate. But, since it wouldn't bother me (because I enjoy celebrating the differences of the people in our nation), I would sign on and welcome any card I recieved with a smile. Am I making my point or just diging my own grave? Anyway, we discussed it nicely and moved on... but after hearing about my nephews pre-school I've started noticing a trend in all of this.

Any discussion on this would be welcome. Let me make it clear however that I am NOT trying to start a religious debate. I believe that my religion is EQUAL to all others and that everyone has the right to believe what they want. I enjoy learning about other religious beliefs and practices. This discussion shouldn't be about religion in itself, but about where conformity should end.

5 Comments:

Blogger Bek said...

This is a good post and something I think about.

As for the card issue...I think that it is appropriate to send what ever it is that YOU belive. It is, after all, to represent your family (and it is my families picture in the card after all) My husband works in a high profile job and not everyone is religious or Christian. We had this huge raging debate about whether we can put "Merry Christmas" on the card or have an angel or a tree..etc. He felt that b/c some people getting the cards were Jewish, they would be offended and we should go more along the "happy holidays" route. I disagree. My kids celebrate Christmas..why can't there be a tree on the card?

I guess I would hope we could all view it as "wow, I got a card..someone thought of me...how nice" instead of "D*@*#@ there is a tree on this card!! How insulting!".

As for the other religions, I agree that while what I do works for me, I hope that whatever other people find works for them (even if that means an absense of religion or spiritual conformity). We are all allowed to decide for ourselves what works. My daughter came home from school the other day and asked if we are Jewish. Yikes, I never actually sat her down and told her that we are Christian and other people are Jewish, or Hindu, etc.... we had a great talk about it and I was happy for the reason to have the conversation.

BTW...I can see why retailers do it..they don't want to alienate their customer base. Fine. If my card alienates someone....maybe that is for the best. I can only imagine how long it would take for them to be offended by something else I do...

Long time lurker..... fellow amom and fan of this blog in general...

7:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

WOW. I will try to make this brief. I believe that America is a great nation because we have the right to chose. However to say your religion is EQUAL to all others leaves a hole in your belief system. If you are Christian you believe that there is one and only one God. No other religion can possibly be equal if you truly believe. I am not saying that everyone needs to be Christian. And I intend to teach my children tolerance. Whatever others want to believe is their choice. But I do agree with you that getting a card is nice no matter what is on it. It simply means that you are special to someone.

Traci

8:21 PM  
Blogger Ryan said...

(THIS IS RYAN, BUT FOR SOME REASON I CAN ONLY POST ANONYMOUSLY ON MY OWN BLOG... GO FIGURE)

"If you are Christian you believe that there is one and only one God. No other religion can possibly be equal if you truly believe. I am not saying that everyone needs to be Christian. And I intend to teach my children tolerance."--Traci

Traci,
Stating that I believe my religion is equal to others doesn't mean that I don't BELIEVE in my religion wholeheartedly. BUT, I don't think it's fair to put myself above others simply because of my own beliefs. What's in my heart will always be there, but if I say that my religion is "above" others, that is implying that those others are below me, and I don't feel that that is right.

When you say that you will teach your children "tolerance", that implys that there is something to "tolerate". According to Google, the word TOLERATE has several definetions, but the first definetion is "put up with something or somebody unpleasant". Although the second definetion is better ("recognize and respect in re: to the rights and beliefs of others") the word still has a harsh sting associated with it. I want my children to understand and know that there ARE other religions out there, and that MANY of them are based on similar morals and beliefs. You have to remember that we are a diverse family... and I want my children to EMBRACE diversity, not "tolerate" it. Love ya though! :)~

9:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dawn (this woman's work) is Jewish and she has a Christmas tree.

I love all things Christmas. My community is very mixed, we have lots of Muslim neighbours too, I love the diversit.y

I think we get a bit caught up in the differences sometimes.
And I don't have the answers for this.

It's Christmas, you don't have to be Christian to enjoy it.

And you don't have to celebrate it either, people can do what they want.

12:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Right on sister. I hear ya'. My kids came home before Halloween and said they were having a Harvest Party-no costumes allowed at school. No candy either because there are a few kids who's parents don't give their kids sweets. I'm not talking about for health reasons either. OH FOR THE LOVE OF PETE!!!!!!!!! Whatever. When we were in school we paraded around in our costumes and loved every minute of it. The few kids who weren't allowed to participate had to sit in the library. Remember? I often wondered what harm it would have done for their parents to allow them to particpate simply for the FUN of it. I thought about sending my girls to school in their costumes in protest but I knew they would have to go sit in the library until the harvest party was over.
lol
People take life far to seriously these days. It's sad.

5:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home