Our FOUR Little Ducks (formerly Our Three Little Ducks :)~

I'm a mom to FOUR amazing kids, one of which was adopted from South Korea. Our family is wild and crazy, and REALLY LOUD but lots of fun. Oh, and my new favorite quote is: "HAVING KIDS IS LIKE BEING PECKED TO DEATH BY A DUCK." So so so true.

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

I am currently a SAHM, but prior to leaving my job I was a labor and delivery nurse. I really miss work, but I enjoy being home with my kids (most of the time anyway!).

Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Oh the pain.

If I was able to choose natural childbirth vs. an adult tonsillectomy, natural childbirth would win (and yes, I've experienced both). Lets just put it this way. I have been on enough pain meds to tranquilize a giant horse. In the PACU after my surgery on Friday I was given Morphine, Demerol, Dilaudid, Vistaril, Lortab, and Versed... plus a few others that I don't remember. Those eventually got my pain level tolerable so that I could go home.

Well, now, 4 days later, the Demerol and Lortab I'm on are making me vomit. So last night I went to the ER because I had NO PAIN control because I was throwing up all my meds, and I was beyond dehydrated. So I got an IV and was given Zofran (for nausea) and more Dilaudid. I was also given the option of being admitted, but since I have three kids and not much help from family, I "chose" to come home. I was given a new prescription for Oxycodone... and with that given new hope that my pain would be controlled AND I would be able to keep down whatever I manage to ingest.

At 2am I woke up in HORRIBLE pain. So bad that I could hardly breath. The oxycodone isn't' helping at all. I might as well be drinking water. So here I am, back on the meds that make me nauseous... the Lortab and Demerol. I'm just waiting to puke again. I'm so so miserable. I have the kids at home with me (minus Elaine who is in school). The ER doc said he would admit me at any time if I came back in because of the pain... problem is, dogs don't make good babysitters and I don't have any family that cane stay overnight for a couple of nights. Ben doesn't have any PTO left at work, so basically I'm up shit's creek without a paddle.

At least with natural childbirth it's over in a few hours.... my doctor told me this morning that I can expect to be in this amount of pain for 7 - 10 days. Only 3-7 days to go. Oh, and FYI- tonsillectomies are WAY HARDER on adults than children... so if you know anyone who will be getting one as an adult, HELP THEM OUT A LOT!!!! The amount of pain involved is unimaginable.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home