Our FOUR Little Ducks (formerly Our Three Little Ducks :)~

I'm a mom to FOUR amazing kids, one of which was adopted from South Korea. Our family is wild and crazy, and REALLY LOUD but lots of fun. Oh, and my new favorite quote is: "HAVING KIDS IS LIKE BEING PECKED TO DEATH BY A DUCK." So so so true.

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

I am currently a SAHM, but prior to leaving my job I was a labor and delivery nurse. I really miss work, but I enjoy being home with my kids (most of the time anyway!).

Sunday, March 19, 2006

About our "Shoe-box" girl!!







On the Korean adoption forum I "chat" on, one of the volunteers (from the USA) who is at an orphanage in Korea came up with the idea of sending "shoe-box" gifts to the all the children in the orphanage. She initially only needed about 40 boxes. But we were all so excited (and desperate to do ANYTHING to connect with those kids) she will end up receiving over 300 shoe-boxes. That's enough boxes for that orphanage and at least one other. I wanted to do two of them, but after spending over $100 on one, my step-mother Sandy offered to do the other. Sandy has already sent hers... going to a 4 year old male (no name given). I made one for a little 3 year old girl. (I know her name, but I'm going to keep that private.) Anyway, this little girl is known for her "tough" behavior. She won't tell anyone her name, and pushes people away. The volunteer that is over there told me that it broke her heart to see this child act like that. Apparently when people ask the girl her name, she replies with the Korean word for "I don't know". She does know, but because that is the only thing that is "hers" she keeps it to herself. Well, hopefully I changed that a bit. I sent her a box of things that can be all her own. The orphanage requested clothing items, so I sent clothes, toys, and a baby doll. It's not much, but hopefully she will feel special. I've asked the volunteer to take a pic. if possible of the girl opening the box... I don't know if she will be able to, but I hope. I also sent her a pic of my kids, and a letter (written in Han-Gul) telling her that I will always pray for her, and to live a life she can be proud of. If you look at the pictures above, she is the girl with the blue shirt on getting her pants fixed. I can't even imagine growing up in an orphanage with nothing to call your own, no family, nobody to tell you what you were like as a child or your family history... I could go on and on. I am so thankful for my family. By the way, the other pictures are of the orphanage facilities, and other orphans there.

1 Comments:

Blogger Third Mom said...

GREAT idea - do they need more, maybe in a year? I'm sure Korean Focus would be happy to help.

9:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home